Sunday, March 6, 2016

Deadpool





 "What the f*** are we watching?" - guy behind me in the theater


As a high school male, I can't help but believe I am a huge part of the demographic for this vulgar, no-holds barred superhero movie. And this movie seriously catered to me. 

If I wasn't laughing out loud, I was shaking my head - not in a bad way, but in a "this can't be real" way. In a "there is no way that this is happening right now" way. A "I can't believe this is working so well" way.

Ryan Reynolds plays this part to the point where I can't imagine anyone else taking his place (This was not the case for his role in Green Lantern). His goofy gestures, the "milk it" inflection in his voice when he throws out one-liners, and even the dramatic elements of the character of Wade Wilson were all done very well. For a character whose face is completely covered, Deadpool is easily the most expressive superhero I've seen (with Spidey in a close second place).

One of my cinematic shortcomings is my failure to ever watch a movie involving the X-Men. I've just never cared. Maybe one day I'll fix that, but I didn't have to in order to enjoy Deadpool. The two X-Men in the movie, Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead, were hilarious and delightful.

For all of Deadpool's craziness - immortality, vague bad guys, unreal stunts - it's held together by Deadpool's frequent and memorable destruction of the fourth wall and by simple, yet profound storytelling on themes of love, acceptance, and relationships. And plenty of jokes about genitalia.

This has been the second most fun time I've had with friends in a theater behind Star Wars. It's definitely a movie you should see with your buddies. It's definitely not a movie you should see with your parents or with a date you don't know super well.

In an age of endless superhero movies, I stand firm in my belief that Deadpool is one you should watch. It definitely stands out. And you'll have "X Gon' Give it To Ya" and "Shoop" stuck in your head afterwards - so that's a plus.

Can't wait for the sequel - which, with a bigger budget, could be twice as explosive.

POST CREDITS - Yes. Yes. Yes. Don't move.

No comments:

Post a Comment