Thursday, March 17, 2016

10 Cloverfield Lane





"Monsters come in many forms."

You know that ad they play in the theater that advertises for the theater? The one where you watch the audience jump out of their seats in sheer terror as what seems like an impossible amount of good popcorn spills all over the place?

Before I saw 10 Cloverfield Lane, that ad kind of annoyed me for how exaggerated it seemed. No one jumps that much. Come on.

This movie put me in my place. I spilled popcorn, I gasped, my butt left my seat and got a good half a foot of air. This movie is one long panic attack.

It’s not just jump scares - though there are a few, they’re some of the best I’ve seen because every single one makes a point to further the plot. None of them were low-hanging fruit.

Where the movie really succeeds isn’t in the jump scares - it’s in the tension. Whether the prospect of being in an underground bunker with people you don’t know everything about makes you feel claustrophobic, antsy, disturbed, or uncomfortable, this movie makes sure to make you feel that. The tight shots, the bizarre quirks of the characters, and the constant uncertainty of both above and below ground come together to make for quite the perturbed moviegoing experience.

Remember - this isn’t really a sequel to Cloverfield. I would say it takes place in the same universe, but follows different characters entirely. You don’t need to see its predecessor, but I would highly recommend it.

This has one of the best openings to a movie I have seen in recent memory. It’s so simple, purposeful, and extremely effective. 

Mary Elizabeth Winstead makes an incredible lead and I was delighted to be introduced to John Gallagher Jr., but, not for the first time, John Goodman steals the show. He’s eccentric, he’s funny, and he’s eerie. His awkward, short tempered performance leaves the perfect amount of mystery - enough to stick with you.

Something else that’s valuable about this movie is how fun it is to talk about. You’ll have plenty of conversation topics on your way home.

I can’t wait to see what’s in store for the “Cloverfield” anthology - 10 Cloverfield has earned it’s place.

No comments:

Post a Comment