Friday, July 31, 2015

Southpaw


I didn't include a trailer because every one I looked at gave away a huge twist I did not see coming. Screw trailers these days.
Anyway, here's what you need to know about me before I give my brief review:
- I'm not a huge fan of boxing movies.
- I love me some Jake Gyllenhaal.
- I'm left handed, so if I could be a Southpaw.
- I'm not a boxer.

With Southpaw, I got pretty much what I expected - an average boxing movie.
Right after the big twist, I saw the rest of the movie flash before my eyes, and that's pretty much how it played out. Gyllenhaal definitely carried the movie for me, and I did think the beginning and ending were both really satisfying. The middle kinda dragged on.
It also didn't really feel cohesive: I couldn't tell if I was supposed to be inspired, or bloodthirsty, or just kinda bummed out. I guess in the end I was a weird combo of all three.
The boxing choreography was well done.
Hope's daughter was a great little actress.
There were a lot of weird zooms I wasn't really a fan of.
In the end, this was just kinda "eh" for me. Which bums me out because I want Gyllenhaal to win an Oscar. I haven't lost hope yet - we still have Everest and Demolition

5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment