Friday, January 1, 2016

The Big Short





I was 10 years old during the 2008 housing crisis. I didn't even know it existed until this year - and I certainly didn't know a thing about it until after I watched this movie.

The Big Short seriously impressed me because not only was it extremely entertaining, it was educational and even thought provoking. My biggest worry of going to see this movie was that I was going to be too dumb to be able to understand any of the economics/wall street lingo a movie about the 2008 housing crisis would have.

Don't let that stop you from watching this movie at all.

It was actually kind of scary in timing - right at the moment during a complex "wall street" conversation, when I was distracted by the thought, "What have I gotten myself into?", the narrator kind of "pauses" the movie. I'm not going to spoil it for you, but they put the story on hold for a second and give you an incredibly easy to understand, funny economics lesson.

This movie is probably the most unique I have seen all year. From the flashy editing to the "Office-esque" camerawork, from the "docu-drama" story set-up to the frequent destruction of the fourth wall, The Big Short managed to immerse and un-immerse me in a brilliant way. 

Every single performance is spot on. There wasn't anybody I wasn't impressed by (Bale, Gosling, Carrell, Pitt... the list goes on).

I loved this movie. There are memorable scenes that made me feel. I was happy, sad, shocked, even angry - about a crisis I didn't even know existed. Go see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment