Saturday, December 12, 2015

Krampus



The opening scene to Krampus is a glorious slow motion montage of Black Friday shoppers in a frenzied rage. Suffice it to say, I was thoroughly entertained throughout this movie.

Krampus is funny - Adam Scott and David Koechner bring many cringy and dark-humored laughs along with the rest of the cast (including an irritated mom, a drunk aunt, and some quirky child actors). Sometimes I couldn't tell whether to laugh or be terrified.

I did wish it got to the action a little quicker - but Krampus's first appearance was well worth the wait.

The effects were great fun and fit the movie like a glove. From the terrifying practical effects of Krampus himself and a few of his helpers to the mischievous CGI gingerbread men, there was always something fun/scary to look at.

I've heard Krampus described as a "purposeful B-movie", and I think this is pretty accurate. It's absolutely crazy in every regard, but it pulls it off for the most part.

The ending is fun to talk about. But no spoilers here.

Sadly, when I left the theater, I didn't feel any more Christmas-spirited than when I walked in (the opposite of how I felt after seeing "The Night Before").

It's a fun, fun movie, and you should definitely take some friends to see it if you're into goofy horror - but I probably won't see this one next year when Christmas rolls around again.

No comments:

Post a Comment