Sunday, November 22, 2015

NETFLIX PICK OF THE WEEK: Hot Rod





"Smack destiny in the face."

Since I totally forgot about last week's pick of the week, I thought I'd make it up to you by reviewing one of my all time favorite movies - Hot Rod. I'm actually seriously surprised it hasn't made its way onto the blog before now.

Hot Rod, believe it or not, was one of the 3 movies that really got me interested in movies - alongside the Dark Knight and the Shawshank Redemption. Hot Rod definitely stands out among the three.

In middle school, before Netflix was the booming industry it is today and long before it offered Hot Rod on instant play, my friend Wesley Sweet showed me this masterpiece. It was the funniest hour and 28 minutes of my entire life. I laughed so hard, I had a small asthma attack. I couldn't wait to watch it again.

I've actually lost count of how many times I've seen this movie, but I estimate around 20 times. I quote it on a regular basis. I have it on my phone for when I need a quick pick-me-up. I used to own a shirt from the movie until it got a massive hole in the armpit.

The premise, if you are not aware, is as follows: a crappy stuntman named Rod Kimble and his loser friends (including his step-brother) must do a crazy stunt to raise enough money to pay for Rod's step-dad's heart surgery so Rod can beat him in a fair fight. I feel like that premise alone could suffice for this entire review. Lucky for you, I love talking about this movie.

Why do I love a movie so much that critics seem to hate? Is it charming setting of a small town with a 90's feel? Is is the eccentricity of the characters, who wear Heelies, throw ninja stars, and trip acid? Is it the ever memorable and catchy soundtrack? Is it the unbelievable quotability? Is my judgement clouded with nostalgia?

I don't even care if you hate this movie. I could watch it another 20 times. It's too legit to quit. Case closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment