Saturday, April 4, 2015

It Follows







"It could look like someone you know, or it could be a stranger in a crowd. Whatever helps it get close to you."

I'm really not a horror guy. I've seen less than 10 scary movies in my life. I love The Shining, and The Ring was fun to watch on Halloween, but I just don't enjoy the demon/gore horror that isn't well executed in recent memory.

It Follows blew me away with its smart, fun plot. Without spoiling too much, the monster (or whatever you want to call it) in the movie is literally sexually transmitted. The mythos of the monster isn't known or understood - we know only what the guy who gave it to the main character told her (which isn't much). This is a crucial part of what makes the movie so scary and immersive and - in a twisted, horror movie way - fun. To quote Eric D. Snider, "It Follows is scary in the bone-chilling way that great horror films are. We’re not afraid of what the characters are afraid of. We’re just AFRAID." Experiencing the monster at the same pace as the characters in the movie do is exhilarating. Whenever someone walked into the theater during the movie, my eyes would jet away from the screen to make sure the monster wasn't following me.

It Follows is smart - as Netflix put it, the concept is "like an urban legend you've known your whole life". The monster's ability to take different forms is refreshing and incredibly fear-inspiring. The movie trains you to be aware of and question the identity of everybody in the frame.

There aren't too many jump scares - its a slow burn with an exponential buildup of tension. It's not cheap.

Technically it was beautiful. Clean shots and editing all around, with the best indoor swimming pool scene I've ever seen. There are some fantastic 360 degree pans, POV shots, and claustrophobic cinematography in general - stuff that made me squirm uncomfortably in my seat.

What really tied this movie together was the soundtrack - a tense 80's synth vibe that is scary in the most fitting way.

All the kids acting in this were awesome, with stand out performances by Keir Gilchrist and Maika Monroe (who is also fantastic in The Guest - which you should totally check out if you haven't already).

My final praise of this movie is in its multiple layers of symbolism. I've read discussions and theories on the themes of sex, rape, pregnancy, intimacy, relationships, and the lack of sexual education. Each is believable.

This was a solid, intelligent indie horror flick with the potential to become a cult classic. Even if you're not a big horror movie buff you should still give It Follows a chance. It's wonderfully unique.

P.S. If you haven't seen a trailer yet, don't watch one except for the one I posted above. Most of the other trailers give away one of the scariest parts.

REDDIT TIME - Some of my favorite comments in an It Follows discussion thread.









No comments:

Post a Comment